In collaboration with the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape and the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Domestic Violence, the Pennsylvania Chapter of the International Association of Forensic Nurses is hosting a 6.5 hour virtual training on November 4, 2021. The Institute on Strangulation Prevention will be presenting a program titled, The Last Warning Shot. Participants may include: forensic nurses, emergency medical and nursing personnel, law enforcement, prosecutors, victim advocates, therapists, judges, probation and parole officers, EMS personnel and dispatchers to—
- increase your understanding of the signs and symptoms of strangulation, short and long-term health consequences, need for imaging and a clinical exam;
- improve system responses to the handling of non-fatal strangulation through multidisciplinary teams;
- increase awareness about current research, laws, best practices and resources;
- improve the identification, investigation, and documentation of strangulation cases across disciplines;
- increase felony prosecutions and offender accountability;
- reduce the number of strangulation cases being dismissed or reduced to misdemeanors simply because the victim recants or doesn’t appear in court; and
- improve victim safety through early intervention.
Cost: $10.00 for Pennsylvania Chapter Members; $20.00 for Non-members; no charge for Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape and Pennsylvania Coalition Against Domestic Violence advocates.
A URL for registration will be added approximately 6–8 weeks prior to the conference date.