NEW TOOLS FOR THE FIELD
These 16 tools were developed specifically for the toolkit, and are intended to assist organizations in becoming vicarious trauma-informed.
Guidelines Series – These brief documents summarize existing research and actionable recommendations for becoming a vicarious trauma-informed organization.
- The Employee and Volunteer Assistance Program Guidelines for a Vicarious Trauma-Informed Organization outlines recommendations for establishing and operating an employee and volunteer assistance program.
- The Family Support Guidelines for a Vicarious Trauma-Informed Organization provides information on how to support employees' families and other loved ones.
- The Human Resource Guidelines for a Vicarious Trauma-Informed Organization delineates a framework for personnel policies and procedures.
- The Peer Support Guidelines for a Vicarious Trauma-Informed Organization provides a continuum of options for peer support programs.
- The Supervision Guidelines for a Vicarious Trauma-Informed Organization offers recommendations on how to provide supervision from a vicarious trauma-informed perspective.
Introduction to Vicarious Trauma Series – These discipline-specific PowerPoint presentations include learning objectives and detailed instructor notes. Each one focuses on educating staff about the effects of work-related trauma exposure and the importance of organizational responses as well as individual self-care strategies.
- Introduction to Vicarious Trauma for Emergency Medical Services
- Introduction to Vicarious Trauma for Fire Services
- Introduction to Vicarious Trauma for Law Enforcement
- Introduction to Vicarious Trauma for Victim Services
Leadership Series – These brief documents are designed to facilitate communication with staff at different hierarchical levels within an organization.
- Making the Business Case for a Trauma-Informed Organization outlines the importance of addressing vicarious trauma as an organization to mitigate staff turnover, low productivity, and poor organizational health.
- Talking Points for Leaders: Using the Vicarious Trauma Toolkit To Address Vicarious Trauma informs communication with leaders about the importance of addressing vicarious trauma and steps the organization can take using the toolkit.
- Talking Points: How the Agency is Addressing Vicarious Trauma informs communication from leaders to staff about the organization’s commitment to address vicarious trauma using the toolkit.
VT–ORG Series – These discipline-specific assessment tools are designed to help organizations evaluate their current capacity as a vicarious trauma-informed organization and to guide their exploration of the toolkit to locate resources.