U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government, Department of Justice.

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Terrorism & Mass Violence

International Terrorism


If you or a family member has been a victim of an act of terrorism or mass violence occurring outside the United States, visit our Help for Victims site.

The following federal programs provide funding and assistance to victims in the aftermath of a terrorism event outside the United States.

International Terrorism Victim Expense Reimbursement Program (ITVERP)
ITVERP, funded by the Antiterrorism Emergency Reserve and administered by OVC, provides financial reimbursement for qualifying expenses such as medical, mental health, property loss, and funeral expenses. Familiarize yourself with who is eligible, what expenses are covered, and how to apply by visiting the ITVERP website.

Office of Overseas Citizens Services
The Office of Overseas Citizens Services, Bureau of Consular Affairs, U.S. Department of State, assists American citizens who become victims of crime while traveling, working, or residing abroad. Victims of a terrorist attack occurring outside the United States who is in need of emergency assistance, or with a family member, can call the Office of Overseas Citizens Services at 888–407–4747, from the United States or Canada, or 202–501–4444, from abroad.

Crime Victim Assistance Emergency Fund for Victims of Terrorism or Mass Violence
The Federal Bureau of Investigation is uniquely suited to provide emergency assistance to victims of international terrorism because of its international scope and extensive experience in responding to more than 13,000 victims of these crimes.  Visit the FBI’s Victim Services Division web page for more information about the Federal and Special Jurisdictions Program.

U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice for Victims of Overseas Terrorism
The U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice for Victims of Overseas Terrorism assists U.S. citizens who have suffered direct physical, emotional or financial harm due to an act of violence committed overseas for terroristic purposes under U.S. law. Victims of a terrorist attack occurring outside the United States and their family can contact the Office of Justice for Victims of Overseas Terrorism with questions about the foreign criminal justice process at 877–738–0153 or [email protected].

State Victim Compensation Programs
All states receive federal funds from OVC to support local victim assistance and victim compensation programs. In the aftermath of an act of terrorism or mass violence occurring outside the United States, some states offer U.S. citizens crime victim compensation benefits for lost wages incurred as a result of the crime. Victim compensation benefits are governed by the applicable state statutes, so eligibility may vary among states. Contact the victim compensation program in your state for more information about eligibility and the application process so you can refer victims to them. For information about your state’s victim compensation program, visit OVC's Help in Your State page

Date Created: April 19, 2020